Parents can ward off peanut allergies — with peanuts!

Parents can ward off peanut allergies — with peanuts! Enlarge this image By Christine Palumbo It’s not often that a health organization makes a complete 180-degree turn with a long-standing recommendation. But the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases did just that earlier this year with their advice about preventing peanut allergies. Rather than avoiding peanuts, the new guidelines recommend exposing infants to peanuts early — as young as four to six months of age — to prevent or reduce the chance of developing a peanut allergy later. “This is a significant change in practice, as parents were previously told to avoid peanuts until age 3,” says Rachael Costello at Rachael Costello Nutrition. The landmark study that influenced the reversal, “Learning Early About Peanut Allergy” clinical trial, showed that introduction of peanut products into the diets of infants at high risk of developing peanut allergy is safe. Not only that, but the study showed that early peanu..

Continue Reading

Avoid slime burns with these tips from a pediatrician

Avoid slime burns with these tips from a pediatrician By Pramod Narula, MD, Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital My three kids are obsessed with making slime out of glue and sodium borate (borax), but I’m concerned with how safe it is. I know that borax is a harsh cleaning agent, and I’ve read some horror stories online about children getting severe burns. How can I make sure that my kids are protected while they’re creating this popular gooey concoction? It’s true that many Do-It-Yourself recipes for trendy homemade slime call for three simple ingredients: water, glue, and sodium borate, also known as borax. Borax, a natural mineral, is used mostly as a cleaning agent, but it is used in slime making because of its binding qualities. Reports have found that borax may have the potential to cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation. “Borax is a mild irritant, but generally considered safe,” said David H. Frankel, M.D., a derm..

Continue Reading
Close Menu